Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Robert Winthrop Chanler (part 1)



Robert Winthrop Chanler was an American artist. Born in 1872, died in 1930
I had first discovered his work at the Metropolitian Museum of Art, in the American wing, in the open storage. There, amongst all these paintings of mountains and babies, was this SICK painting of...well, first things first it was DOUBLE-SIDED, and one side was demons, and ghosts, and alligators and bats and spiders....all kinds of scary shit. Super creepy, wth and outsider-art kind of vibe. And then I saw it was painted in like, 1918, and I thought, holy shit, thsi thing is way ahead of its time. It was called "Porcupines and Nightmares" and I thought..."where are the porcupines?"
thats when I saw the other side...



These porcupines were gnarly. You can't tell from this picture of it, but they have evil-looking red eyes. I fell in love with it. I go visit it at least once a year. It helps me keep it REAL.
The Zebra screen up top I got to encouter up close at an antique shop on Lafayette street. They had it for sale...like, 12,000 or something. It was so beautiful. I kind of fantasize about well, A) owning it, or B) having those zebras as a tattoo...maybe someday.

I got to see these stained glass windows at a place called "Retro Modern Lighting" on 10th street, near 5th ave...the dealer didnt want to talk to me, since it was obvious i didnt have any money, only a measely art groupie....the guy who restored the antiques humored me.
SICK!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment