Monday, December 20, 2010

Patti Smith style


So, I've been reading the book, "Just Kids" by one of my favorite women in music and art, Patti Smith. Its a sort of memoir of her friendship with the artist Robert Mapplethorpe. I'm still in the middle of it, but so far I love it. I also love her style, which is the epitome of cool.



I was always very drawn to tomboyish style. She's got this great blend of beatnik and punk, my two favorite aesthetics.





I also think she's really beautiful.




I first got into her when I saw this album cover. As a jewelry designer, I was super drawn to the body chain she's wearing. Its delicate, but tough at the same time. Like an heirloom made into something new.




These are actually her boots. I want them.....





Badass!

2 comments:

  1. I've been a fan of Patti's from the early 70's...you're so right about her style...I was 17 back then and yes..I used to dress like her.Still do, really... I recently watched her movie "Dream of Life" and it inspired me to want to do a painting of her. I'm working on some sketches. The woman is a TRUE artist in every sense of the word. I've yet to read her book "Just Kids" waiting for it to hit the library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you gotta read "just kids"...its amazing!
    thanks for checking out my blog!

    ReplyDelete