Monday, June 13, 2011

Bottle Beach



A couple weeks ago me and Dave went to Dead Horse Bay, AKA Bottle Beach. A small piece of the Brooklyn waterfront, across from the Rockaways, this place used to be a landfill until the 40's or 50's...not too sure...
The tide brings in all sorts of vintage and antique bottles, many in decent shape. I had always wanted to go, and when I unexpectedly found the weekend to be free of gigs and work, I decided to check it out.



The first thing I saw....creepy doll head purse!!! I left it there...






Its a gorgeous place...but gross too....industrial, post-apocalyptic wasteland lovely....




Its essentially right off of Flatbush ave...right before the bridge to get to the Far Rockaways....





Me and Dave.





There were a lot of dead horseshoe crabs....which was suprising because I had no idea they were so plentiful in the NYC local waters....this one had barnacles all over it....

This one didnt...i want to make a replica out of copper sheet metal....





This was a BOAT....not any more....






Oh god...this was the most awful thing I had ever seen....if you can't tell from the angle, its a dead rats head, and in its mouth are dozens of tiny maggots....it was disgusting, but I couldn't look away....naturally I had to take a picture, and share this nastiness with the world....






We are literally under the bridge that takes you to the Rockaways...




A dead blowfish...also didn't know they were local NYC sea creatures....



THEN we went to Coney Island...which was cool, until we got to the crowded part, then I was over it...give me antique bottles and dead fish over an amusement park any day of the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment