Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Earrings!

So, I've been trying to make something other than necklaces lately. I've never been a big bracelet wearer (though I've been trying) or ring wearer (I have swollen joints in my hands, so its hard to make rings fit). I've always worn like tons of necklaces....like, layering lots of delicate ones, or rocking a really major one. I also wear a lot of earrings. I have 4 piercings in each ear, and lately have in experimenting with mismatching orphaned earrings. These are some photos of earrings I've made recently, all of which are on etsy.



This guy is made from a vintage watchband. Its gold-filled, with a really cool pattern on it. I like how the watchbands are jointed, you know? Gives it a snake-like quality. I wire-wrapped the crystals that hang from the bottom. (My wire-wrapping is coming along, but I still need more practice.)


These are favorites. I wire wrapped these crystals too, and hung them from the ear hook with sterling silver feathers, and a tassel of chain. The chain is knotted, and the knot has adhesive, so it won't come undone.



I made this guy out of a broken sterling and semi-precious stone bracelet. I just hung some sterling feathers (I had jacked a lot of these feathers from really ugly hippie earrings I got at a thrift shop in the midwest....) and called it a day!



This guy was a bit more involved than the others. The gold colored part is actually part of a clasp to a multi-strand necklace. I measured and cut black chain, and added crystals wrapped in copper wire. They're a little heavy, but trust me, they won't rip your ear open!

1 comment: